It is clear that winter has well and truly hit us – eek! This is the time of year we see cosy nights in with comfort food, and multiple snooze button hits winning out to workouts. Once or twice, we understand. Anymore than that can be more detrimental to the ‘whole’ you than you think.
Exercise gives you way more than a perky butt and toned abs – it reduces stress, eases tension, sharpens your memory and focus, helps you sleep better and much, much more.
When you feel those winter blues kicking in is when it is most important to continue your regular workouts.
- Exercise will ensure you have more energy throughout the day, and sleep better at night. That means taking an hour out will actually make you feel much brighter throughout these darker days.
- Regular exercise is a powerful pick-me-up. As the sun disappears earlier in the day choose a circuit over coffee to significantly reduce that mid afternoon slump and feel more energetic.
- Ever get that brain-dead feeling when the weather changes? We do. Moving your bod will give you a sharper memory, help you concentrate and stimulate the growth of new brain cells.
- Getting those endorphins flowing will lift your mood and have you feeling more positive, no matter how many layers you have to add.
- Exercise increases self-esteem. And when your self-esteem is soaring you can take on anything – rain, hail or shine!
Still not convinced you can drag yourself there? Try changing your approach:
- Make exercise a social activity. Exercising with your girlfriends is guaranteed to be fun and will take your mind off the weather. As well as giving you back some of that social time we tend to lose in the winter.
- Make exercise the reward. With all the benefits exercise brings it is the best reward you can give yourself. Rather than sitting on the couch and watching TV as your ‘timeout’ pull on those runners and get outdoors.
- Be grateful for the weather. It is actually much nicer to be cooler rather than warmer when you get in to it, we promise! Dress in layers that you can remove as you start to sweat.
- Make a list of non-negotiables. Sure, you would love to manage a session every day but we all know that that isn’t always going to happen. Choose your favourite days and make these non-negotiable just like you HAVE to attend a meeting you HAVE to complete these exercise sessions.
- Do it early! Set out your workout clothes the night before and put them on as soon as the alarm goes off. Once you are dressed you may as well do it, right? Getting it done early will mean you feel incredible for the rest of the day!
- Make it work for you. Enlist the help of a personal trainer who will take all of the thought work out of it and come to you, to push you through that cold snap. If you don’t have to think about what you are going to do; where you are going to be and how you are going to get through it, that is half the battle won, right? Check out how we can help you, here.
- Make yourself accountable. Whether it’s your personal trainer or your girlfriends if you have someone to show up for you, you will show up!
And remember these things:
- Consistency is key. Remain committed and you won’t feel guilty if you miss just one session in favour of a cosy night in with a warming red wine.
- You don’t have to train like a pro athlete every time. Sometimes when you envision going to a workout where you have to go hard or be the best, you just don’t feel like it. On these occasions, take it a little easier, listen to your body and think about it more as getting out there and just having a bit of fun.
- As well as exercise, good nutrition also plays a huge role in our mood, productivity and stress levels. Make sure you are eating good mood food our favourites, here.