This was my absolute favourite chocolate bar as a child. But there is good reason the term ‘You Daim bar’ became a playground insult – it really isn’t a smart bar when it comes to your insides. Not willing to give up this nostalgic treat, I transformed the sugary baddie in to a tasty goodie.
Feeds: makes 4 Bars
Cooking time: 8+ hours
For the centre:
- 3 Pitted dates
- 65g Rice malt syrup
- 10g Unhulled tahini
- Pinch sea salt
For the chocolate:
- 25ml Melted coconut oil
- 20g Raw cacao powder
- Coconut milk
- ¼ Tsp Stevia
- Add the ingredients for the centre to a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on a flat surface, spoon the blended mixture on to the paper and use a spatula to flatten and spread the mixture evenly, forming a thin, square layer.
- Place a second sheet of baking paper over the top to sandwich the layer and place in the freezer for 4 hours.
- 10 minutes before you are ready to remove the centre from freezer, mix the coconut oil, raw cacao and stevia until well combined and runny.
- Remove the centre mixture from the freezer but DO NOT remove from the baking paper, using a pair of scissors cut into 4 bar shapes.
- Stir a dash of coconut milk in to the chocolate mixture and one by one remove the baking paper from each bar to dip and coat in a generous layer of the chocolate. You need to work quickly here because the centre will melt quickly and the chocolate will set quickly.
- Wrap each chocolate-coated centre in a single square of baking paper and place back in the freezer for a further 8+ hours.
Top tip: For a yummy dark chocolate option omit the coconut milk from the chocolate mixture.