There is a good reason people in the Mediterranean refer to Olive oil as liquid gold. Here are just a few:
Nourish from within:
- Improve circulation with the proven effects of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Strengthen your immune system with the antioxidants it contains.
- Keep your cholesterol levels in check with the role olive oil plays in lowering total blood cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Dress – A simple drizzle of olive oil brings any meal to life. Infuse with any number of fresh herbs (I love rosemary) or team with vinegar’s for yummy combos.
- Cook – Roasting a big batch of veggies in extra virgin olive oil and a few dried herbs is quick, easy and super tasty.
- Dip – My favourite is pesto. Check out this awesome recipe from the I Quit Sugar website – IQS kale pesto
Treating the outside:
Extra virgin olive oil is full of anti-aging antioxidants, is naturally a low allergen and has a silky smooth texture making it perfect for dry sensitive skin.
Scrub – reveal beautiful radiant skin with this DIY alternative.
This scrub can be made based on your skin type and personal preference. Finer salt crystals will result in a finer scrub. My rule: make the crystals larger as you work down the body i.e. finer crystals should be used for the face, neck and décolleté. Whereas larger crystals can be used for areas such as elbow, knees and feet.
Combine the chosen salt (rock salt, Epsom salt, even table salt will do) and oil in a jar, mix thoroughly to ensure all crystals have been distributed. The amounts will depend on the salt type and area you are treating, aim for a fairly runny consistency. Using a small amount of the scrub in the palm of the hand, apply in a gentle circular motion concentrating on dry/rough areas. Rinse thoroughly and follow with moisturiser. If you don’t have allergy issues you can add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture, my faves:
- Rose – great for any mature skins, adds to the anti-aging properties of the olive oil.
- Lavender – great for relaxation and a scrub before bed.
- Tea-tree – anti-bacterial and great for acne prone skins.
Stay tuned for more wholefoods for the whole body.