If you find it all too hard, don’t beat yourself up; try reducing at first and swap milky lattes and choc topped cappuccinos for piccolos and long blacks. Lessen your intake until you can imagine a week without coffee, complete the week and see if you feel like going back – we didn’t! If it is the caffeine hit you are missing go for green tea, it is full of antioxidants that will have you and your skin looking and feeling wonderful. When, and if you reintroduce coffee, we recommend sticking to those long blacks and cute little piccolos. And keep it as a pre-workout treat, rather than hitting several lattes while sitting at your desk ;). Here are 7 of our faves. Try one each day this week and see which is going to suit you and your all important taste buds:
- Dandelion – this tastes like coffee and is the best replacement if replicating flavour is what you are after. Add coconut or almond milk if you are a latte lover, and try a teaspoon of raw cacao powder if Mocha is what gives you your mojo.
- Licorice – a real favourite here at Her Master Plan. This tea is super sweet and stops sugar cravings in their tracks. Try the many blends available out there to keep you motivated and excited about tea over Tim tams!
- Peppermint – great for digestion and really refreshing. If you are a coffee after dinner kinda gal try replacing it with a peppermint tea. Not only does it taste great and get rid of any after dinner bloat but unlike coffee it also freshens the breath – date night anyone?
- Camomile – Not only does this tea taste fantastic but it also relieves stress and anxiety, relieves menstrual cramps and helps you recover more quickly from a cold. It really is win win.
- Chai– We are talking the good stuff, not the sugary powder or syrup kind. The real thing tastes a hell of a lot nicer and has many health benefits; as well as being a real warm, spicy, comforting treat. Ask the barista or make your own chai tea latte with almond milk – yummmmm.
- Rooibos – This South African tea is not only super light and refreshing, it is jam packed full of antioxidants and a plethora of beneficial minerals. Drink it with a slice of lemon or add milk for an alternative pick me up.
- Green– Everyone knows green tea is a powerhouse of pure goodness, right? If you didn’t, you do now. The benefits of green tea are incredible, not to mention it can help accelerate fat loss. Brew the green goodness at 80 degrees for the perfect smooth finish.
Haven’t got the time to go searching the isles for the best? Let us help you by sharing our top tea picks:
- T2 is a great place to try before you buy. They offer tastings as you browse the shop floor, and if you ask really nicely they will give you samples to take home! We cannot walk away from there without a green and a Chai, mmmmm.
- Pukkaherbs offer a huge range of really interesting flavours. Although we simply can’t go past the licorice and peppermint – be gone chocolate craving.
- The tea centre is like the candy shop of teas. Be careful, you can get lost in there for hours. The list of flavours is never ending and we cannot leave without at least one of their rooibos blends in one hand and a Camomile in the other.
- Bonvit is our go to for dandelion. We have tried our fair share and this little gem that can be found in the supermarket isles is still our fave.