What do you do when you release the hazelnuts from the self serve dispenser and get more than you bargained for?? Create cookies of course..
Feeds: Makes 20-22 cookies
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1 room temperature egg
- 75g hazelnut meal
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 20g organic grass fed butter, melted (if you do not tolerate dairy, use coconut oil)
- 50g hazelnuts
- Zest 1 lemon
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Pinch baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Set around 20 whole hazelnuts to one side and place the rest in a sandwich bag
- With a wooden spoon smash the hazelnuts in the sandwich bag in to pieces
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and combine well
- Add the egg, lemon juice, melted coconut oil and butter to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth, place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Line an oven proof dish with baking paper and lightly grease with oil or butter
- Remove the cookie mixture from the fridge and carefully pour this in to a sandwich bag
- Use scissors to cut a small opening at one corner of the sandwich bag, this will create a piping bag
- Pipe small blobs of the cookie mixer on to the baking paper
- Press a whole hazelnut in to top of each of these blobs
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden (keep a close eye on the time, they can go very dry if you leave them too long)
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and serve immediately, or store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Top tip: These are a great healthy alternative to get the kiddies involved in – piping and hazelnut placing fun for the whole family ;).