One thing I really missed when I was told I couldn’t eat gluten was 2-minute noodles (it is an awful truth that I have fed my body some pretty bad baddies in the past). Nifty noodles became my noodle replacement of choice at that time many years ago, and it’s still one of my favourite go to’s today.
Feeds: 2 – 4
Cooking time: 2 minutes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large green zucchinis
- 2 grey zucchini
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 Cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Pinch Himalayan salt and pepper
- Use a spiraliser or julienne peeler to shape the vegetables in to noodle shapes. If you don’t have either of these tools (I didn’t when I first made this dish) use a normal potato peeler and then slice the vegetable shavings thinly. It takes a lot longer but it works!
- Heat the ghee / coconut oil in a wok pan and add the carrot, cook for 30-60 seconds
- Add the 2 types of zucchini, salt and pepper and cook for a further 30-60 seconds (don’t cook for too long or the noodles will turn to mush).
- Transfer to a serving bowl for a beautiful side dish.
- If you want that real 2-minute noodle flavour, add the nutritional yeast flakes for the last 30 seconds of cooking. Not quite as beautiful in the looks department but it gives a really old school flavour (if you ate 2 minute noodles during your school days, of course).
Top tip: Don’t limit yourself to the options here. This dish is so versatile as a side or a main. Add basil pesto and tomato for an italian feel, garlic and prawns for a seafood tagliatelle. Play around with it and have fun!