An afternoon tea classic, minus the classic sugar overload.
Feeds: Makes 6 scones
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 100g almond meal, sieved + extra for rolling out the dough
- Pinch baking powder
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 20g coconut oil, softened
- 50ml coconut milk
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Combine the almond meal, baking powder, vanilla bean powder and coconut oil, try not to over-mix to keep mixture light
- Make a well in centre of mixture and pour in coconut milk
- Fold in the mixture, gently. Again, keep it light
- This will begin to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some almond meal on to a clean bench top or a sheet of baking paper on a flat surface.
- Roll out the dough and use a pastry cutter to form the scones
- Place each of the scones on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Whisk together the egg with a splash of coconut milk and lightly coat the scones with this mixture
- Bake in oven for 12-15 mins
- Remove, allow to cool and enjoy with coconut butter – yum!
Top tip: This recipe is 100% sugar and artificial sweetener free. If you would like a little extra sweetness, try adding a small amount of stevia. You can also spice things up with a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg – yum!
You must be logged in to post a comment.